Thursday, April 5, 2012

What is a scarf

As I have not grown-up in the english speaking world I am always looking for answers. This blog is also making me look for details that were not really important before. It did not really matter what I call my current project because it was just for me, but sharing it with you makes me wonder:
Is it a scarf, a shawl, a wrap, a stole, a shawlette, a capelet, WHAT!!!
Anxiously searching, I think I found the answer I was looking for today in a newletter about crocheting:
  • Scarf is a long narrow rectangular shape usually wrapped around the neck.
  • Shawls are traditionally triangle in shape.
  • Shawlettes are shorter and smaller than shawls but are similar in shape and design
  • Wraps and stoles are generally rectangular in shape as opposed to their triangular-shaped shawl cousins.
  • Most capelets are no longer than your elbow and provide extra warmth and coverage. Capelets fasten at the neck, perfect for those times when you want to make sure your accessory stays in place. Show off a piece of jewelry or handmade craft to fasten the caplet.
So, I am knitting a scarf. No more guessing.

1 comment:

  1. Funny & interesting post. It happened to me a couple of months ago - I wasn't sure if I was working on a scarf, a neck warmer or what.

    Have fun with knitting your scarf!

    ReplyDelete